Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Taxis by algorithm -- streamlining city transport with graph theory



I recently stumbled across this fascinating preprint from last year by some computer scientists and applied mathematicians. They show how the taxi system in NYC could be made roughly 40% more efficient (fewer miles driven, lots less pollution, etc) with a taxi sharing system that would help people coordinate their trips. Making it work requires data and algorithms; the 40% improvement could be achieved, in principle, while introducing no more than a 5 minute delay to any person's trip.

Looks like great idea, right in line with the spirit of using information to improve coordination. I've written a short article on the research at Medium.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice blog. Taxi systems have to be more efficient in order to increase their service.Online reservations and radio dispatched taxis are already increase the efficiency of taxis.
    Thanks for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative post. I wanted to optimize my blog title n your post help me in doing so. It is so easy to have my desired blog titles now.
    http://www.herba-webshop.at

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice information! I am intimidated by the excellence of information. There are a lot of high-quality funds here. I am sure I will visit this site again soon.
    I know something information,to know you can click here
    princeton taxi
    princeton car service
    princeton limo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! So nice. You did really so wonderful job. You have posted very informative thing. I am excitedly waiting for you next post.justcoachhire.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, nothing like designing to get the creative juices going. And it’s rewarding to see what you’ve created at the end of the day. usefultravelsite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete